Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Also Good Therapy: Reading Stuff I Wrote Years Ago

So I've been sitting here reading random blogs and when I got bored with that, I started reading some of the "keepers" in my computer. Much of what I keep is poetry I've written, e-mails that have touched my heart in some way, or stuff that makes me laugh. I try to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. Anyway, this poem always makes me smile. I wrote it over six years ago. My baby was 2 at the time, and oldest was 9. It's nice to remember those moments....makes me want to go home and yank the home videos out and watch them. Those were the days, my friend. Sigh.

Anyway, just thinking back on old times made me smile. I didn't even have to listen to Smash Mouth and my mood is back on track.

I have to give the credit to God. I don't know what I would do if I didn't write to vent. I thank Him that He made me that way.

Here's my tribute to my family as I knew it in 2000:

To Give Thanks for My Family

Little toddler fingerprints on the living room door,
orange plastic sunglasses in the car on the floor…
three little smiles are worth waiting for…
How did I live life without them, before?
How could I ask for more?

My partner and husband of a decade by my side,
kids yelling, “Daddy, give me a piggy back ride,”
watching the school play and smiling inside,
attempting, in vain, to squelch my tears of pride…
I couldn’t hold them back if I tried.

My favorite show is on and I can’t hear what’s said,
Two kids are arguing about going to bed.
the other kid is putting mashed potatoes on his head,
and I’m wondering where I’d like to be instead,
but I’ve stayed for love’s sake even when I could’ve fled….

For washing a thousand dishes and buying hundreds of shoes;
packing their lunches and watching “Blues Clues,”
none of these things will make the six o’clock news,
but, in my rainbow of life they are one of the hues;
and if I had to start over, this is the life I’d still choose.

At the end of the day, I know this is right…
I know this is true no matter what the daily plight.
I know some rain will fall before the sun can shine bright;
for I will have a hand to hold when darkness steals the light,
and I will have my loved ones to kiss me goodnight.

No comments: