Friday, June 9, 2006

Who Am I?

I read this neat post on a blog that I follow regularly. The blogger wrote about herself, just a list of likes and dislikes more than anything. I found it interesting and thought, "Hey! Maybe I'll do that!" So here it goes:

I am a mother of three children. Two of those children are teenagers. They are all neat kids.

My birthday is July 4th. I have always considered this special. Growing up, I thought that people were having picnics and BBQs in my honor. I have a lot of Americana stuff that people have bought me over the years. I was told over and over again by various members of my family the following: I was born at 10ish in the evening. When the doctor told my dad that I had arrived, the fireworks started going off at a nearby show. The hospital overlooked the venue, so they all had a great view. The doctor said something like, "This one's going to be a firecracker." They say Dad cried.

I purchased the house I grew up in, that my dad grew up in and I am now raising my kids there.

When I was little, my brother and I suspected the house was haunted. My kids suspect the house is haunted. I don't know what I think now.

My least favorite foods are pecan pie, sour kraut, and egg rolls.

My husband and I will celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary in July.

I have green eyes. My eyes are one of the only features I have that I wouldn't change something about if I could.

My favorite singer is Phil Collins. My favorite group is Blesid Union of Souls. Audio Adrenaline is a close second.

My childhood dream was to be a missionary in Africa.

I can't eat tomatoes or anything with tomatoes in it or one of the following happens: my eyes swell shut or my lips puff up. This started happening just a couple of years ago.

My hair is red, brown, blonde and grey, but not necessarily in that order.

I never talk politics. It's against my religion. :) I vote, but will never have a bumper sticker telling anyone who I voted for. I consider my political views extremely personal information.

The thing I find least attractive about a person is a conceited or "know it all" attitude.

My favorite foods are rice and chicken. I love chocolate. I am mildly suspicious of any woman who doesn't like chocolate.

In high school, I made it a point to see every movie Steve Martin was in as soon as it came out.

I've been working for eight years at my current job. I still like coming to work every day.

My favorite color is peach.

I love to scrapbook. I love the circle of friends I've made through scrapbooking. I've been a Creative Memories' consultant...hobbyist only...for almost 4 years, I think. I've done over 30+ albums to date...some as gifts, some to keep.

My favorite t.v. shows are reruns of "Whose Line is it, Anyway," "Everyone Loves Raymond," and "America's Funniest Home Videos." I like "Cold Case," but always seem to miss it.

My pet peeve is that racism still exists in 2006.

My least favorite t.v. show is pretty much any reality show. I find it hard to believe that people are going to be "real" with a camera in their face.

I am still friends with almost all of the friends I had in jr. high. My friend, Wyn, and I have been friends since I was three and she was four. My friends are precious to me.

I love to send cards and hand written letters.

One of my life goals is that I want to learn to play the guitar. I want to learn sign language. I also want to learn to speak fluent Spanish. Right now I speak very choppy and extremely halting Spanish.

When I had allergy testing done, I was only NOT allergic to one thing: down feathers. Everything else including cat dander, dog dander, dust mites, trees, grass, mold, etc., I was allergic to. I still have three cats and three dogs. I cope by taking a benadryl every night before I go to sleep. I also don't have carpet anywhere in my house. I feel very healthy.

My favorite female singer is Allison Krauss.

My favorite beverage is diet anything. Despite loving diet pop, I try not to drink more than a can a day. I force myself to drink water, because it's just plain better for me.

I graduated high school with a 3.7 GPA, but did not go on to college.

The job I have normally would require some college education or at least several years of experience in this field. My boss met me, liked me, hired me, and sent me to school to learn what I needed to know to do the job. It was an amazing blessing.

I'm cranky if I don't have one cup of coffee every morning. I love flavored creamers. I can't drink black coffee.

The person who I would consider my flesh and blood hero is my grandfather.

I am ambidextrous. I eat left handed, throw ball left handed, use my adding machine with my left hand, mouse with either hand and write with my right hand. They made me pick that hand in grade school.

I have never flown on an air plane but can't wait to try it.

When I met my husband he was a cook and I was a waitress.

I have never been out of the country.

The neatest city I've ever been to so far is Boston. I love the amazing mix of old and new architecture. I didn't like driving there.

My husband has a fear of flying so all of our family vacations are road trips. Plus, it's cheaper with a family of five.

I stood on the bank of the Detroit River and gazed over at Canada, wishing I could just step foot on Canadian soil so I could say I had been out of the country.

I plan to go to college when the kids are all adults. I want to study photography. I would love to have my own studio.

I hate clutter but my house is full of it.

I used to own 125 pairs of shoes. I gave almost all of them away. I now have about 15 pairs I wear regularly.

I have OCD when it comes to Christmas trees. I obsessively "straighten" mine until it gets on my own nerves.

I only swear when I am mad, and even then I try not to. I haven't conquered it yet.

I have an occasional alcoholic beverage, but not often. Both my biological parents were alcoholics. When I do have a drink, it's usually a marguerita.

I enjoy buying new clothes, but I don't enjoy paying very much money for them. I have always been blessed with clothes. I never sell the clothes I don't want anymore. I give them away. I think that's why I have always been blessed with clothes.

I love the feeling I get after working out, but I still don't do it enough.

The one man I might leave my husband for is Weird Al because he makes me laugh. :) Looks take a backseat to sense of humor any day in my eyes.

Despite this, I think sexiest thing about my husband is his biceps.

I can cook, but I don't like to. Hate it. Would rather not eat than cook. Would eat peanut butter and crackers every night rather than cook.

I can't drink wine because it gives me a sinus headache.

I love celebrating birthdays. Other people's, mine, doesn't matter.

I love to watch NFL football on t.v. I don't like watching it in person.

I hate watching baseball on t.v. I love watching it in person.

I was a pretty decent tennis player in high school. I was first singles' varsity on our team.

I don't like watching other people play tennis, but I like playing it.

My husband and I both love music from the 80's. We both like going to the drive in. Other than that, we don't have any other hobbies we both like.

My husband does the grocery shopping in our house. I don't like going with him to the store because he takes forever to shop.

I won't let my husband near the laundry.

I enjoy thrift store shopping.

My happiest childhood memory is going to my brother's little league games with my grandfather. My grandmother always said, "Don't you get those kids any candy!" The minute we got there, he handed us money for the concession stand. I always got candy.

One of the first things I want to do when my kids are grown is take a cruise with my husband. He says he'll go, despite his fear of flying.

I can't swim, though I took swimming lessons. I can float and tread water.

I love to fish. We always catch and release.

I have one brother, three half brothers, a half sister and a step sister.

My ancestry is divided almost equally: Native American and Irish.

When I start to feel stressed, I immediately want to take a nap.

I require at least eight hours of sleep every night or I get cranky. I hardly ever have insomnia.

I love Jesus, and have since I was three. I don't read the Bible like I should. I seldom go to church. I do pray for others daily.

I have a fear of admitting what I'm afraid of.

I'm not afraid of heights or snakes or spiders or water.

I am fiercely protective of my kids.

I get my feelings hurt rather easily.

I was selected to represent our school in Jr. High at a Young Author's Conference. I would like to write a book one day. I write poetry almost daily.

I love blogging, because it satisfies the need to write that is always nagging me.

I like to read. Lately I've been reading nothing but "fluff" books. I don't want to think too hard these days.

By the doctor's scales, I'm at least 30 pounds overweight. I was always thin until I took an office job. I didn't keep baby weight after the birth of my kids and I never had to diet. I know I should be more proactive about my weight, but I'm not overly concerned. I suspect I should be.

When people around me are sad, I get sad. When they are happy, I'm happy, too. I sponge too much off of other people's moods. I am trying to quit doing that.

I hate "Butterfingers" candy bars.

I love Boston Cream Pie.

I personally know and love three people that have full blown AIDS. They are all enjoying good health at this time.

My biological mother was a cancer survivor. She died of a blood clot. My biological father survived skin cancer.

When I am in a bad mood, I don't like to talk or be talked to. Same if I'm in physical pain.

I forgive easily. I seldom hold grudges.

If I could change one thing about my personality it would be this: I wish I didn't show my feelings so easily. I'm very transparent emotionally.

My face still breaks out at 33. Not terribly so, but very regularly. Nothing has ever helped. I would change that about myself if I could.

My favorite cartoon is Dilbert.

I don't watch the news. It makes me cry. I read it on the internet.

I am really looking forward to taking some time off work next month. I hope to do absolutely nothing for at least two days.


Okay, that was fun. If you're still awake, hope you have a good weekend and that life is treating you kindly.

3 comments:

Pam said...

That was really cool! I'm glad I got to know so much more about you! I hope to do something like this soon. :)

Pam said...

That was really cool! I'm glad I got to know so much more about you! I hope to do something like this soon. :)

neicybelle said...

amazing...you are all i thought you'd be and more! thank you for sharing that and being that open!