Friday, November 25, 2005

Getting Out of the House

Well, we got out of the house for a few hours. We went to visit Robert's mom, and of course, like all good moms, she had to sort of lecture us about visiting her more. She's right, of course. We work too hard. We don't visit enough. We don't bring the kids over hardly ever. Perhaps when they're grown ups and we're no longer trying to squeeze something meaningful into every second, we'll sit around and wonder why they don't visit us more often. But maybe not right at first. Maybe we'll breathe a collective sigh of relief that they made it to adulthood. That's my prayer. And maybe we'll go on a cruise. Right now we'll settle for an occasional date night. The comedy club date night in September was such a good one it should carry us for a little while.
Anyway, Robert, the boys and I went to Big Lots and bought a few items for the house...nothing major. Hangers, trash bags, WD40, necessities. I looked at ornaments, but didn't buy anything yet. It feels rather extravagant to buy ornaments for a tree when I have boxes of ornaments packed up that I haven't opened yet. Where they are exactly in our storage room in the city house is a mystery, but we still own them, and I feel like buying more is just....wasteful. Maybe next year we'll have unpacked. But I won't hold my breath.
After Big Lots we headed out to Ponderosa, which is a bit of a drive from us, but worth it to eat anything but Thanksgiving type food. That was a peaceful meal. No arguing. Usually if there are two kids, fighting is reduced. Add that third kid and someone has to disagree about something. We did a lot of talking, reminiscing. Josh is going through a phase where he is focused on how fast time goes by, and has been in the mood to talk about the past. Perhaps losing his grandmothers so quickly has triggered that. I am more than happy to indulge this talkative side of his personality, since he is usally so tight lipped. I'd say it was overall a sweet, peaceful evening. What's weird is that it feels like Sunday night, as I've had two days off. But I don't have to go back to work tomorrow. I can sleep in again. Eight o'clock, at least. I can scrapbook tomorrow, hopefully. Maybe do more organizing and cleaning. Putter around the house....maybe even work on this blog again. After all, I have all day. Today I skipped my workout, but I should make that priority tomorrow. I've been doing too well to stop now. So, that's 45 minutes of the day....the rest is up in the air. I've washed many of our comforters and pillows and throw rugs....if this keeps up, I'll be taking down curtains and pulling out the ironing board....
Naaah....scrapbooking sounds like a much better idea. The ironing board has been in the closet for the last 8 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Who irons anymore, anyway? I've got a dryer and a full bottle of wrinkle relaxer. What more could I ask for?

No comments: