Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Just When You Think It's Safe To Complain About Your Life....

Okay, I still don't have power. The tree is still precariously hanging on by the threads that are live power lines.


However, it's been one of the first good days since Ike came storming in and shattered our mindless little existence.

It all started with a little financial windfall that came through for us. A windfall that gave us some room to breathe and our mortgage for September paid.

As we speak, there is a crock pot in the back office, slow cooking a pot roast for our family. There is fresh bread and jars of fruit in the fridge. All of this, courtesy of Brenda.

Then, while I was out picking up some essentials during my lunch hour, my friend, Sandy, called. I have been shopping around for a futon mattress. Sandy's daughter, Beth, gave us the futon frame several months ago. It was our intention for Jess to have the futon in her room and use it as her bed. Jess' room is small, and she liked the idea of having a couch in the day and the bed at night.

Right after we received the futon frame, our finances went haywire. We never have been able to find the extra money in our budget for a new futon mattress. We don't use credit cards...we save for whatever we need, so there are times we have to wait a long while for big ticket items.

Anyway, today Sandy called and asked if we were still looking for a futon mattress. I had Sandy and also my friend Deb, both avid yard sale attenders, on the lookout for mattresses at local sales. I figured Sandy had found one at a good price. However, even better, Sandy's neighbor had one that he was going to throw away because they didn't need it anymore! Woo-hoo! How exciting! Sandy got it and brought it home, and all we have to do is pick it up tonight! Yay!

I got back from lunch and sat down at my desk. Lo and behold, the van from one of our local florist shops pulled up. I looked at my coworker and said, "Your birthday isn't until next month. Hmmm."

The flowers were for me....from Leah. I was so touched! Thank you, Leah. Aren't they pretty?


As if Leah isn't going through enough in her own life right now!

I am sitting here, just dumbfounded about all the blessings I have....the treasures....the people in my life. I am surrounded by so many caring friends that I can no longer feel the hurt that a few angry people tried to inflict.

I have far more to be thankful for than I have to complain about.

My faith is renewed. It's enough to get me through another day.

No comments: