Thursday, August 17, 2006

Thankful

I was sitting here and had a realization. Sometimes my job helps me keep my sanity in tact.

I've always thought I hated math and numbers. Math was my least favorite subject in school.

However, a lot of what I do in my day to day job deals with inputting numbers, using calculations, verifying tabulations, etc.

Today has been a particularly stressful day for me. I've been letting worries bombard me. I've got stuff filed in the back of my mind that is trying to push its way to the forefront of my thinking.

So, this morning I threw myself in to my work. I have been efficient all morning. It has been rather busy around here.

Then in occurred to me that my job...the hands on stuff...has helped me stay calm despite my anxiety. It's the very numbers I could never appreciate that are helping me keep my ducks in a row. I think it's partially about being able to do this job without putting much thought into it. I could probably do it in my sleep....maybe even blindfolded. I think there is some comfort in that.

So I'm thankful for that today.

What's good in your life?



3 comments:

Holli said...

Funny me too! I just don't get numbers in whole... I think I try to make them harder than they are. But my job is all serial number, barcode number, model numbers, account numbers and such. I could sit here all day an punch in numbers. I also hate puzzles and actually my job is solving a big puzzle. Where did this computer go, I have to play detective and track it down. It's actually a great job! It keeps my mind busy here at work but it's very easy to leave the work here at work. I don't take anything home with me (work or stress). Keep on pluggin' on girl!

Leah said...

It's always good to have something you can throw yourself into that keeps you busy, even if it is monotonous. I'm sorry you are so stressed out, but I'm glad you found a way to help deal with it today. Try and keep smiling!

Kristi K. said...

:) Right back at ya! Have a great day, sis! :)