Friday, January 20, 2006

A Whole New Woman!

I'm to have surgery soon for multiple repairs...sounds to me like I'll end up being practically bio-nic by the time the doc is done. A sling here, mesh there, stitches and supports everywhere. Oh what fun! Along with a four week vacation to let it all grow into my system and become one with the universe. Why, I'll be a whole new woman, ready to face any challenge! That's right: I read "The Power of Positive Thinking" growing up! I see the glass half full! The sky's the limit! (I say this now, when I am relatively comfortable in my ergonomically correct work chair. We'll see how I feel the day after the surgery...may be in a different frame of mind for a bit.)

I'm just thinking after the initial pain and teeth gritting is over with, I'll have one glorious week after glorious week to catch up on my scrapbooking. I think that's what I said I wanted to do last year. God granted me what I asked for, just not how I imagined it all coming about.

This week I'm busy teaching my teenagers to do laundry. I'm at the "show them how it's done" phase right now. Next is the "watch them do it themselves" phase, followed by the "do it all on their own with gentle reminders" phase. After that it's the "you'd better remember to do your own laundry because I may be too out of it to care what gets done and if you want to have clean clothes for school it's time to stand on your own two feet and get to work" phase. I'm also teaching them how to load and unload the dishwasher. Since my hubby does all the cooking, they should be all set. I think Rob is trying to get things going now, because I've never seen him do so much organizing and moving furniture through the week as he is right now. It reminds me of how women "nest" before a new baby.

I think it's going to be kind of weird, because I've never been admitted into the hospital overnight unless I brought a baby home. I've been fortunate. Everything since my babies' births have been outpatient.


So far I have my mother-in-law, step-mother, my good friend, and Rob (of course) volunteering to be there for my surgery. This should be interesting. I'm thinking maybe at this rate I need to reserve a banquet room and serve finger foods. Maybe a few balloons and a disco ball.....

I'm one of those people that get quiet when in pain. I sort of just prefer to retreat into my head and not make too much fuss...not talk or chit chat. So I figure they'll just all have to talk amongst themselves.

But at least if the food is bad I'll have no shortage of folks to send out for a decent meal. I have had good hospital food. No, really, it's true. It's not just an urban legend. Such food does exist. Yet it's always nice to have a backup plan if this is not one of the places that serves such delicacies.

Other than that glitch in 2006, I've had a great year so far. I'm going through my "bible-in-a-year" smoothly. My friend and I have had two really cool meetings so far to have devotions, just she and I. My prayer journal is filling up quickly with prayers, answers to prayers and cool God-incidences. So 2006 is indeed a good year. I've had some days when I'm tired, some days when I'm weak, but the great thing is that no matter how I feel, God is still God. He never changes, so I can always count on that. A never changing God for a whole new woman. I like that.



No comments: